Saturday, February 07, 2009

Lies We Can Believe In IV
(Obama's Vietnam)

Resurrecting a theme not seen here since November 24, 2008, I provide the next installment of more lies from the Obama administration.

Remember how just after the Presidential election everyone was talking of the almost palpable change in how the world perceived the United States?

Well being barely reported by the liberal extremists who control the media is that Kyrgyzstan is booting the United States from a U.S. air base on its territory. For those unfamiliar with Kyrgyzstan, it's situated on the front lines of our war in Afghanistan; it was to be the launching pad for President Obama's Vietnam-like expansion of our war effort in Afghanistan.

Nothing like the colossal diplomatic blunder of losing a frontline ally in advance of a military expansion.

One of the few stories I found on the matter, an Associated Press story, reported, "Kyrgyz President Kurmanbek Bakiyev stunned Washington when he announced the closure of the base earlier this week after securing more than $2 billion in financial aid and credit from Russia."

Meanwhile, my "news"paper, the Boston Globe, is reporting on this story from the angle that Russia is permitting a flight corridor to Afghanistan provided flights are limited to supplies. Oh, goodie, a new frontline ally; the fortunate timing! And the Russians are so cooperative! I wonder if the Obama inner circle who didn't think Gov. Blagojevich was trying to sell Obama's Senate seat thinks there's any chance Russia orchestrated the Kyrgyz decision. No, I'm sure it's just a coincidence.

Also in the Boston Globe story is mention of the United States negotiating with Uzbekistan to open a base there. For those unfamiliar with Uzbekistan, it is ruled by a strongman and is universally recognized by international human rights groups as a country with "limited civil rights". The Bush State Department was also on record as a critic of the Uzbek government. It will be interesting to see if the Obama Administration is willing to compromise its principals (Uzbek is rumored to torture its citizens; limited civil rights?; how about "no" civil rights) to expand its war-making.

I would be remiss if I did not note that Kyrgyzstan is the best of all possible options to expand the Afghan war effort if that is what President Obama is intent on doing. Most notable in the list of benefits is the proximity for medical evacuations. It will be interesting to see what the Obama Administration is willing to sacrifice in this regard in order to expand its war-making.

2 Comments:

Blogger Zack said...

All,

I'm not completely comfortable with all of my post from earlier this morning but I leave it unedited anyway.

I wrote it to mock those who harmed President Bush's efforts to fight a war and now I re-read it as I, in my own very little way, doing the same to President Obama. I've been steadfast in aknowledging the importance of the opinions of our military commanders and I still am.

I do not know what Gen. Petraeus is advising but I'm absolutely positive that his counsel is the very wisest that President Obama can receive.

. . . as it was when he reported to President Bush.

9:34 AM  
Blogger Zack said...

Regarding my "Politics of Fear" installments, here's an excerpt from Glen Beck's on-line column from February 6, 2009; Mr. Beck has a slightly larger reading audience than I do:

Begin excerpt: What does Obama do? He turns the message of hope and change into scandal, double standards and doom and gloom, and he shoves the most outrageous spending package the world has ever seen down our throats, using dire warnings to scare us. End excerpt.

Uh, Mr. Beck, where have you been, dude?

4:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home