Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Our Historic Day

The letter I submitted last week to the Boston Globe asking that the Globe consider holding and publishing today:

Editor,

God bless America on this historic day as a bi-racial man is sworn in as President of the United States. (End of letter.)

Yes, my letter might have prompted what I would call an "honest conversation on race" but instead my newspaper and all the news channels today conduct a massive orgy in dishonesty.

The topper today were the racist words of Rev. Joseph Lowery who closed his benediction of today's inauguration of President Obama with these words, "Lord, in the memory of all the saints who from their labors rest, and in the joy of a new beginning, we ask you to help us work for that day when black will not be asked to get in back, when brown can stick around ... when yellow will be mellow ... when the red man can get ahead, man; and when white will embrace what is right."

I can only hope my children who watched some of today's events from school didn't see and hear these hateful words.

Please let me know if you hear or see President Obama condemn these words; I'll let you know if I do.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those words were awful. My children were forced to watch it all at school and thankfully were so bored out of their minds,I'm sure they missed it. Get ready for 4 years of it, though. Not so much by Obama himself, but by the people he surrounds himself with. By the way, since he is every bit white as he is black, I will call him "Caucasion" when others choose to call him African American. However, I agree with you, it is a biological fact that the man is bi-racial.

9:28 AM  
Blogger Zack said...

Anonymous, Outstanding! I never thought of actually going all the way and referring to him as caucasian. That's brilliant! Of course, I'd never do it until I hear someone say "black" or "African-American". When they challenge me, I get to drop the hammer. That's so beautiful. I hope I get a chance to employ the educating dialogue soon. I'll let ZACKlyRight readers know if I do.

10:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home