Monday, January 21, 2008

Random Musings

No, I’m still not gloating about my predictions (February 14, 2007; December 14, 2007 or January 12, 2008) that Gov. Mitt Romney will be the next President of the United States and that Rep. Hunter would be the next Republican candidate to drop out of the Presidential race. The latter was just a matter of time and if any political novices were asked to predict such an event, all would have predicted Rep. Hunter. When Sen. Thompson drops out I might crow a little. When Sen. Thompson endorses Gov. Romney, I’ll crow a lot.

As I wrote on Saturday, the only primaries that seem to matter to the liberal media establishment in the Republican race are the ones that Gov. Romney does not win. Gov. Romney won Nevada but that race according to the media was “lightly contested” so the victory is absolutely meaningless. I can now say I never lost anything in my entire life. Everything I’ve ever lost I now contend I “lightly contested”; those losses don’t count! Wow, what a great way to always win! That great job that went to another job applicant? No, I only “lightly contested” for the position during the interview process. Ms. Jessica Alba selecting Mr. Cash Warren over me? No, I only “lightly contested” for her affection. This is great! My “winning percentage” in life is now recalculated to 100%! I’ve won all of the things I ever “heavily contested” and those are the only contests that count!

Disregarding the above paragraph, 86% of those who voted in the Republican primary in Nevada were Republicans; that is, they belonged to the Party that will nominate the Republican candidate. Gov. Romney won 58% of this group. Sen. McCain finished second with 12%. Seventy-six percent of Republican primary voters self-identified as "conservative". Gov. Romney won 57% of this group. More finely breaking-down the ideology labels to "somewhat conservative (36%)" and "very conservative (40%)", Gov. Romney won 58% of the latter group; Gov. Huckabee, Sen. Thompson and Rep. Paul all tied for second with 11% of the vote for the "very conservative" group.

Let me be the first to provide the outcome of a brokered Republican convention, if it comes to that. At most, the possible remaining candidates will include Govs. Romney and Huckabee, Sen. McCain and Mayor Giuliani. Next, contemplate what we know about registered Republicans. Then, think about what we know about the fervor of Republicans who vote in Presidential primaries. Now, think about the fervor of those who are actually delegates to the convention. So, putting the four names I listed in descending order of conservative to moderate, who do you think is at the top of the list? Whether by reaching the required delegate count prior to the convention or by winning the nomination in a brokered convention, Gov. Mitt Romney will be the Republican Party’s nominee.

Sens. Clinton and Obama and Mrs. Michelle Obama were all in black churches this weekend pand-----, I mean, campaigning for the black vote. Gov. Romney was in Florida this weekend touting his credentials as an economic genius; he obviously pandering for the votes of those most concerned with the economy. Get it? Only Gov. Romney panders; everybody else is campaigning.

I wonder what the “tolerant” liberal media would have to say about Gov. Romney if he were pictured coming out of a Mormon Church service as often as Sens. Clinton and Obama or President Clinton and Mrs. Michelle Obama are seen coming out of a church service. I wonder what the "tolerant" liberal media would have to say about Gov. Romney if he WERE EVER pictured coming out of a Mormon Church service.

Just a word about the Democratic Presidential primary in Nevada. According to the Boston Globe, Sen. Clinton won the white vote in Nevada over Sen. Obama by 52% to 34%. Sen. Obama won 83% of the black vote. If anyone can explain how Sen. Obama enjoys such support from the black community without race being the driving factor, I’d love to hear the explanation. As I’ve written so many times on this blog I’ve lost count, I do not know what race is more racist but voting for someone because of their skin color is as racist as voting against someone because of their skin color. Using race to decide is racism, I cannot write it any more clearly. I believe there should be no tolerance for racism no matter how attractively it’s wrapped by its practitioners.

A few more numbers as reported by my (news)paper, the Boston Globe:

In New Jersey, blacks favor Sen. Obama by 48% to 26%. Whites favor Sen. Clinton 46% to 23%. The numbers are within the margin of error so if racism is a factor, it looks like black and white New Jersey voters are equally racist. But, I wonder what demographic will be labeled as such and what demographic will get a pass . . . again.

In South Carolina, blacks favor Sen. Obama by 44 percentage points. Whites favor Sen. Clinton 44% to 20% (this is 24% difference for those scoring at home). These numbers are not comparable because they are well outside the margin of error from each other. Readers can draw their own conclusions.

I condemn racism in all its overt forms. I condemn sexism in all its overt forms. I condemn religious bigotry in all its overt forms.

But, I especially condemn racism, sexism, and religious bigotry when they're dressed up to be something noble because of their insidiousness.

(For new readers who want to read rather contemporary posts on Racism in America, please see my posts of August 3, 6, and 8, 2006. For regular readers, please treat yourselves to a re-read.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home