Friday, September 08, 2006

There's Gambling at Rick's?! Oh, my!

The liberal extremists were all a flutter this week following the announcement by President Bush that the CIA detained 14 al Qaeda terrorists at secret CIA locations.

These liberal extremists I guess would also be shocked to learn that the CIA also has secret agents, secret offices, secret codes and just plain secrets.

If one-tenth of the allegations against these 14 are true, then these 14 are super-bad guys. I just don't understand the American that thinks these guys should not be interrogated by somewhat strenuous interrogation techniques.

If even one of the alleged attacks by these 14 were defeated because of the use of somewhat strenuous interrogation techniques, again, I simply don't understand the American that thinks these guys should not have been so interrogated.

Our Constitution protects Americans, not non-Americans. I blame the Bush Administration for not making this point to the American people.

International treaties and international agreements protect non-Americans that are detained by the United States. I'll take the President at his word that the U.S. Government did not authorize the unlawful abuse of any detained terrorist. I'll also cite the collective evidence of all the Abu Graib and Guantanamo Bay critics and say there is absolutely no evidence that the U.S. Government authorized the unlawful abuse of any detained terrorist. I will not deny that rogue interrogators and jailors "dehumanized" some terrorists but that is a far cry from torture . . . and, this dehumanizing treatment was defintely not authorized by the United States Government.

If you commit a terrorist act against the United States, are planning a terrorist act against the United States, or assist someone that participates in either and the United States takes you into custody and you are not a United States citizen, I have no problem at all with you standing in a stress position.

I think the family members that stood over a (empty?) casket of a 9/11 victim certainly stood in a stressful position.

I think every American that stands in a security line at an airport is standing in a stressful position.

I think every American soldier standing watch in Afghanistan is standing in a stressful position.

If Amercans are standing in stressful positions, I have no problem with those that want to kill innocent Americans standing in stressful positions. And, if they wet their pants while so standing, I'm good with that, too. Has not one air-traveler lost control of her/his bladder while standing in a security line or accelerating down a runway?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

great post. but, I check every morning, where've you been?

8:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent points and I couldn't agree more. One of your best posts yet.

1:25 PM  
Blogger Zack said...

Anonymous, as I have lamented in recent posts, I just wasn't motivated to write about anything over the last two or three weeks. Even the Boston Globe, my daily, couldn't publish anything that motivated me to respond . . . and that is saying something given the extemism of this particular "paper" (I just can't write "newspaper"). Anyway, I have two drafts going right now on two different topics so maybe the end-of-summer-malaise and the stretch run into the November elections will provide plenty of opportunity for some good posts. Please continue to visit this blog and please elaborate on any of your opinions. I appreciate your comment "great post" but what part? Do you suggest even harsher treatment for detained terrorists? Less harsh? Do you have another example of an innocent American standing in a stressful position? Have you stood in a stressful position? Are you as dumbfounded as I am about the stupidity of folks that didn't think the CIA had secrets? All opinions are welcome here.

9:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok --here are my thoughts:

- The CIA has always had millions of secrets, always should and always will. Isn't that the whole point of the agency? Don't they have to work covertly to get the job done?? Honestly, people need to get a clue.


- No, I don't think treatment for the detainees should be any less harsh. After reading countless biased,unsupported articles such as "US Torture Chamber in Guantanamo"(Rolling Stone,Aug.) that are supposed to, I guess, evoke tears for terrorists, I feel ever more strongly that the rights of Americans to live in safety must prevail.

-Finally, I can think of no more stressful scenario than that of the loving parents of an American soldier standing in their doorway and being given the news that their child has been beheaded, brutalized and tortured to death beyond recognition at the hands of terrorists in Afghanistan/Iraq.(Makes Guantanamo look like being sent to a country club, doesn't it?)

9:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home