Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Poems from Guantanamo

On Sunday, August 5, the Boston Globe, sympathetic to the cause of the terrorists being detained at Guantanamo, published three poems by three different detainees.

This was the caption introducing the three poems:

The just released "Poems from Guantanamo: The Detainees Speak" is a collection of 22 poems by 17 detainees at the US detention center at Guantanamo Bay. Edited by Marc Falkoff, each poem had to be cleared by the Pentagon. The result offers a rare glimpse into the lives of the prisoners. The following is an excerpt.

Well, al Fedaban Americans will now have something to buy their loved ones for those special occasions. Birthdays, anniversaries (September 11, maybe?), etc.

First, Sen. Jack Reed (D, RI), no friend of President Bush but certainly a man concerned about the security of the United States, insists the 350 detainees at Guantanamo are "very bad guys". If Senator Reed thinks these guys are bad, then I'm not losing any sleep when they are (if they even are).

Second, wow!, paper and pens to write poems. No wonder the pro-terrorist lobby is outraged at the treatment the detainees are receiving!

Third, I simply do not recall the Boston Sunday Globe publishing poems by the children or other family members of those killed on September 11, 2001. I tried all my web search tricks but I couldn't find anything (if anyone is aware of such a publication, please advise and I'll prominantly address it here). In the spirit of balance, I think such poems running opposite the poems of the detainees would have been appropriate . . . I know this would have surely upset the pro-terrorist lobby, though.

Finally, the caption that introduced these poems said that each had to be "cleared by the Pentagon" (can't you just feel the censorship implication?). Anyway, I'm sure that's why "death to America" didn't find its way into anything I had to read Sunday morning. But, how soon until we hear the detainees First Amendment rights were trampled? Oh, that's right, these terrorists aren't U.S. citizens; they are not entitled to our constitutional protections.

I'd write something about artwork and the National Endowment for the Arts but I don't want to give any ideas to the liberal extremists who are U.S. citizens and who are sympathetic to the detainees.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to go to the globe website and see if you are joking about this- it can't be true!

7:45 AM  
Blogger Zack said...

ROC,

Please go to boston.com, Today's Paper, Opinion and you should then be able to navigate to the "editorial".

After you've done so, please tell all of us what you think.

To everyone else,

Please follow the same path to the Poems and please let us all know what you think.

If there is an opposing view to mine, I'd love to read it.

8:02 AM  
Blogger Zack said...

Excerpted from Bill O'Reilly's Talking Points memo posted August 8 which I think means he read it last night (August 7):

Most Ridiculous Item

It's hard to believe, but there's actually a book of poetry called "Poems from Guantanamo", where 17 detainees get creative.

The Boston Globe actually printed some of the verse, which features lines like: "When I heard the pigeons cooing in the trees/Hot tears covered my face./When the lark chirped/My thoughts composed."

Excellent. In fact, I wish I had written that. And since I've been to Guantanamo twice, I might have gotten published, which of course, might be ridiculous. (End of excerpt.)

My goodness, is Bill O'Reilly now visiting ZACKlyRight?

10:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll be checking the NYT Bestsellers' list for this most worthy publication. Only in America!

12:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home