Thursday, February 16, 2006

Random Issues

I'm trying something different tonight; just some quick, random thoughts; really, I won't mind a few comments letting me know if I hit or missed with this change-up:

Last night, I watched Secretary of State Dr. Condoleezza Rice school the Country's most stupid Senator, John F. Kerry, on C-SPAN; they were replying her appearance from earlier in the day before the Senate Foreign Relations Committee. A Rice/Kerry 2008 presidential election would be a Republican landslide. Everything Kerry said last night came out haughty and arrogant; everything sounded like, "James, bring the Mercedes Benz around front." Dr. Rice, meanwhile, gave clear and cogent answers when trying to respond to what could have been a question; with Kerry you just never know. And she smiled. And like her boss at the Mrs. Coretta Scott King funeral, she was gracious against attacks and implied insults.

From my September 20, 2005 post, here is a Sen. Kerry quote: "Katrina is the background of a new picture we must paint of America. For five years our nation's leaders have painted a picture of America where ignoring the poor has no consequences; no nations are catching up to us; no pensions are destroyed. Every criticism is rendered unpatriotic . . . Well, Katrina did happen, and it washed away that coat of paint and revealed the true canvas of America with all its imperfections (In college speech, Kerry upbraids Bush administration, September 20, A9)." First, go back and read the whole post, it's pretty good. Second, now you know what I mean when the person that said this would have trouble posing a question to Madame Secretary Dr. Rice.

The two letters to the editor that the Boston Globe printed in response to Mr. Jeff Jacoby's article from yesterday were one neutral and one against.

Exactly why is a prisoner that is suspected of killing his wife and nine-month old daughter transported wearing a bullet-proof vest? It indicts all of us and it makes him look like a victim.

I Googled "national Democrats, attack, war veterans" and didn't come up with any new material other than the stuff I've already covered. I promised I'd stay on top of this, so I'll do this same search every few days and let you know what pops.

I think I'm uncomfortable that so many people think U.S. Supreme Court Justices have to be "brilliant". I mean, I think I'm uncomfortable that people think a document that is written in plain English can only be explained to me, oh, excuse me, to the dumb Americans, to us, by brilliant Justices. The document is written in English! I can read the 19th Amendment. I can develop my own opinion about what it says. I will vote for elected officials that have the same opinion. No "brilliant" Justice will ever be able to convince me that women can't vote . . . well, unless they're on a cell phone at the same time, of course.

One more time for emphasis on one of Mr. Jacoby's points from yesterday, the idea of "hate crimes" is ridiculous. My life is not worth less than a homosexuals just because I'm a heterosexual. If we are both beaten to death by some animals, the animals get the same penalty for beating me as they do the homosexual. My brother's life is not worth less than an African-American males life. If both are beaten to death by animals, the animals get the same penalty for beating my brother as they do the African-American. Substitute any two victims you like; one is not less than the other. Just like I can read the U.S. Constitution, I can also read the Declaration of Independence. It says, "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, . . . ." I don't need some "brilliant" Justice or politician codifying something other than this. Plus, no one, and I mean, no one, knows, exactly, what goes on inside anyone else's head. To try to criminalize what goes on there is . . . well, ridiculous.

Men's figure skating is simply unwatchable (recall, I think Terry O'Reilly was the greatest hockey player of all-time).

Lindsey Kildow is one tough woman. She is fast making me forget my two favorite female athletes of all time, her friend, Picabo Street and marathoner, Uta Pippig (recall, I think Terry O'Reilly was the greatest hockey player of all-time).

Okay, so I tried to have some fun tonight. If you didn't like this post, blame it on the folks that were asking for less time between posts; maybe I can't deliver three days in a row.

Anyway, back to mostly serious stuff in the next post.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the the change-up. I'd like to see this format again- we all could use a little humor at the end of the day!(I'll second the notion that men's skating is undeniably unwatchable- I'd rather watch curling!)

8:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK with this once a month or so, but don't over do it. You still used some serious words with the hate crime point.

The most funny sentence over the last three postings was the close on February 14.

5:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home