Saturday, February 18, 2006

Editing Posts

Just a quick operational post today: yes, as the Administrator of this weblog, I can open prior posts and edit them. As many of you may have noticed, I've started the process of opening the prior posts and dropping in a title. I'm doing this because I need a tool to help me find material that I've written in the past, but it also helps you find a post on a particular subject. This problem became evident this morning when I started yet another USA PATRIOT Act post and I wanted to find some of the language I had previously used. Crimeny, it was a painfully slow exercise.

That I can edit prior posts requires this statement: I will never edit a prior post to make me look more intelligent than I am, allow me to say, "told you so", or delete evidence that I, too, can write some stupid stuff sometimes (I'm not CBS News, afterall). For example, way down below, I predicted Judge Emilio Garza to be the next Associate Justice of the U.S. Supreme Court. I did not go back and type in "Samuel Alito" after he was confirmed by a bi-partisan vote in the United States Senate. I'm not going to pinpoint where, but I have not deleted two or three pretty stupid mistakes I've made. On three occasions or so, I've alerted you to factual mistakes I've made and I've corrected them in a subsequent post rather than simply edit the offending post. I encourage readers to alert me to factual errors; we can disagree about philosophy, policy, motive, etc. but let's not disagree about the facts.

I have edited for spelling and grammar. Yesterday, I corrected "Utta" to "Uta" (from my Feb. 16 post). If I find a double "the the" that spell check wouldn't pick up, I'll go back and delete one. I do apologize for making the Uta Pippig correction a full 21 hours after the original post having recently learned that 20 hours is an extremely long time according to the Washington press corps.

Oh, and the next Associate Justice of the United States Supreme Court will be Emilio Garza.

Tomorrow a pretty long post on the USA PATRIOT Act; I'm starting it now; look for it about noon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home